Modifying Child Custody Orders

The Texas Family Code allows for either parent to file for a modification of a prior child custody order

Perhaps you want to change or increase the amount of time that you spend with your children, particularly if circumstances in your life have changed. Our Houston child custody lawyers can help you through the process of modifying child custody orders.

There are two basic circumstances to modify custody orders:

  • First, a visitation order can be modified if the parents agree to the modification and the court finds it to be in the children’s best interest.
  • Second, a visitation order can be changed if a party shows that there has been a “material and substantial change” to the circumstances of the child or a parent. A material and substantial change can occur in a variety of contexts.

If you need to change your current situation regarding child custody or visitation, our family law attorneys can protect your interests and firmly advocate on your behalf in the courtroom for modifying child custody orders.

Contact Houston’s The Larson Law Office now at (713) 221-9088 for a free case evaluation.

Request a Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What Qualifies as Material and Substantial Change?

Some examples of a “material and substantial” change of circumstances include changes to the home environment such as:

  • When the child undergoes frequent moves;
  • Remarriage of a parent;
  • The violation of a geographic restriction by a parent;
  • Interference with visitation by a parent;
  • When the child’s age and needs change;
  • Parental conflict; and
  • Relocation of a parent.

If you are facing a dispute involving the modification of child visitation or custody orders, The Larson Law Office can be of significant assistance to you in addressing these problems quickly and effectively.

Need to Modify Child Custody Orders in Houston, TX?

If you want to know about your legal options about modifying a visitation order, speak to a committed, dedicated Houston child custody lawyer at The Larson Law Office. Call us today for a free case evaluation at (713) 221-9088.